|Date Posted||June 21, 2022|
UAP is looking for a Structural Design Engineer to join its busy New York studio and workshop.
UAP | Urban Art Projects believes incredible things don't just happen; they're created, nurtured, believed in. Spanning art, architecture, design, environments, and everything in between - UAP works with artists and creatives to make incredible things all over the world. Visit for more information.
A Design Engineer is responsible for developing creative solutions that meet the client's creative intent and considers constructability and budget requirements. The role will also focus on advanced manufacturing technologies, specialized machinery, and fabrication while drawing on mainstream engineering principles and practices. The Design Engineer will also complete structural analysis to inform material selection and detail development.
- Perform structural analysis to inform system design, material selection, and detail development
- Design sculptures and other installations from the concept design phase through fabrication documentation and installation support
- Create technical drawings for shop build and/or subcontractor fabrication based on designer drawings, layouts, and other visual aids
- Design and engineer custom solutions to challenging engineering problems to meet specific requirements of diverse project-based applications
- Draft detailed assembly/installation drawings for use by professional installers/contractors
- Research and order materials and hardware required to execute the construction of designed units
- Actively communicate with the construction team and participate in the commissioning of units designed
- Works closely with the engineering manager, project managers and production managers to meet both budgetary and scheduling goals
- Understanding the underlying physics of complex problems
- Understand capabilities of machining and fabrication via the UAP shop and subcontractors
- Communicate with client creative and supervisory staff during the design and construction phases of the project
- Select and order appropriate materials for the design
- Provide details to the procurement department to aid in part and vendor selection
- Help monitor quality control
- Eye for art and design aesthetic
- Build a library of knowledge of previous designs
- Bachelor's degree or above in structural engineering and/or equivalent experience
- Minimum five years of relevant experience in engineering/design/fabrication
- Modeling expertise in Rhino required
- Modeling experience in SolidWorks or Autodesk Inventor, and AutoCAD encouraged
- Solid knowledge of various fabrication/installation
- Sound knowledge of structural design and problem-solving ability
- Able to work under pressure and with minimum supervision
- High-level problem-solving skills and a demonstrated ability to multitask through multiple projects.
- Appreciation and interest in art and design
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including 401(k), paid holidays, medical/dental/vision coverage plans, ESPP, annual bonuses and more. If you have the skills to excel in this role, we want to hear from you.
Thank you for taking the time to apply for the Design Engineer position.
UAP Productions LLC is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.