|Date Posted||June 21, 2022|
Join a global professional services leader. We are committed to solving the world's biggest challenges in the areas of water, energy and urbanization.
Our Engineering Design team in Detroit, MI is looking for a Senior Architect to apply a foundation in construction technology and codes, combined with fully developed communications, collaboration and delegation skills to:
- Support delivery of architectural design projects for our municipal and industrial clients
- Work in a peer relationship with multi-disciplinary engineering teams
- Support knowledge growth and professional development within our North American architectural team, and
- Delegate to architectural designers and architects in training
GHD's U.S. architectural team designs facilities that help to provide protection and improvement of the natural environment by purifying water for public consumption, treating wastewater to protect rivers, bays & lakes, and provide processes for recycling and disposal of solid waste. The trust we have built with our clients is allowing us to gradually diversify our project type portfolio to include public park, police, public works and administrative facilities, along with work in the energy sector, aviation and planning, manufacturing, and mining.
In this role you will use your professional experience and technical skills to:
- Participate in upgrading and maintaining essential infrastructure that protects and improves water resources
- Collaborate with our group of Engineers to develop building designs that balance the technical requirements of mechanical processes with the priority of providing safe, convenient and comfortable work environments
- Develop designs that adapt to existing contexts of various character, including rural communities, developed industrial sites and historic neighborhoods
- Propose construction systems appropriate to community context, interior environments that are frequently challenging to the durability of building materials, and project goals for sustainable and resilient design
- Illustrate and present design alternatives using two-dimensional graphic and three-dimensional modeling tools to both project teams and clients
- Provide coherent and persuasive language, along with statements of probable construction cost, to deliverables such and Preliminary Engineering Reports and Basis of Design statements
- Ensure successful implementation of proposed designs and systems by providing constructable details and biddable specifications
- Organize your own work as well as the team's to efficiently develop and deliver contract documents including drawings and specifications
- Serve as a critical team resource for compliance with building codes, energy codes and OSHA requirements; and provide mentorship to the architecture team in understanding and applying these requirements
- Provide construction phase project support
For success in this position, you will need the following qualifications and skills:
- Bachelor's and/or Master's degree in Architecture accredited by the National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB)
- Licensed to practice Architecture in a U.S. jurisdiction
- Minimum of 8 year's experience in the design of commercial, industrial, municipal and buildings
- Ability to communicate both conceptual designs and construction details in two-dimensional and three-dimensional forms. While this is not primarily a digital drawing and modeling role, the successful candidate will understand the general operations, potentials and limitations of BIM and CADD platforms such as Revit, AutoCAD and SketchUp.
- Validated experience understanding the value of, and advocating for the broader adoption of BIM within the Engineering Design Organization.
- Solid foundation in construction technology and sustainable design and possess dedication to knowledge growth in those areas
- Strong communication skills and ability to collaborate with multi-discipline Engineering teams to meet project objectives
- Willingness and ability to travel to project sites and client meetings as needed (primarily day trips)
As a multicultural organization, we encourage individual achievement and recognize the strength of a diverse workforce. GHD is an equal opportunity employer. We provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants without regard to race, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, marital status or veteran status.
Being the best we can be is in our culture.
We are a family of smart, innovative and creative problem solvers. In our employee-owned company, everything feels like it matters more. Challenge us and help us come up with new solutions to ensure water, energy and urbanisation are made sustainable for generations to come.
Our commitment to you
Commitment is a powerful word that defines how we do business, how we serve our clients and how we care for one another. We will support your needs by giving you the tools to do your best work and then recognise achievements. We will set your curiosity free to allow brilliant minds to do their best work. We will invest in new ideas, removing barriers where we can. Finally, we will encourage you to collaborate with thousands of diverse people across our global business.
Who we are
We are committed to solving the world's biggest challenges in the areas of water, energy and urbanisation. GHD is a global professional services company that is a leader in engineering, construction and architectural expertise. Established in 1928, we remain wholly owned by our people. We are 10,000+ diverse and skilled individuals, yet we are proudly 'One GHD' across more than 200 offices, spanning five continents - Asia, Australia, Europe, North and South America, and the Pacific region. Delivering extraordinary social and economic outcomes, we are passionate about building lasting relationships with our partners and clients.
COVID Policy: Prospective and/or new employees are required to adhere with GHD's US vaccination policy and any applicable government regulations related to COVID-19. Individuals hired for GHD positions that require in-person interactions with GHD Clients, or in-person visits to, or work at, GHD Clients sites, must comply with Client imposed requirements, including, in some instances, being fully vaccinated against COVID-19. GHD complies with federal, state, and local laws with regard to accommodations related to this policy.