|Date Posted||June 21, 2022|
SP Industries is seeking a highly motivated, experienced, detail-oriented R&D Engineering Manager with experience developing and commercializing new products and building high performing technical teams.
The R&D Engineering Manager will lead multiple technology, product development, and continuous improvement projects consisting of multi-disciplined engineering teams ranging from 5 -10 professional staff. A particular focus in refrigeration is required as SP seeks to develop new refrigeration systems and technologies in line with evolving EPA, EU and other global regulatory requirements
The R&D Engineering Manager will be responsible for developing and overseeing technology roadmaps, engineering projects, processes, budgets, and timelines and make any necessary adjustments to ensure successful completion of projects. There is a particular focus at SP on the development of machines which are reliable, efficient, and cost effective for efficient, repeatable and reliable manufacture.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Serve as mechanical and systems engineering leader
- Keep abreast of industry standards and regulatory requirements
- Facilitate and lead the development of the refrigeration roadmap and the subsequent training for SP personnel and execution/implementation of the roadmap.
- Lead/contribute to system architecture design and development for capital equipment (process and automation).
- Hire, train, develop, and supervise engineering teams. Monitor staffing and training needs and plan/react appropriately.
- Create/lead detailed engineering plans, processes, and procedures to maximize team performance.
- Manage budgets and timelines for engineering projects.
- Develop, integrate, and commercialize new technologies & products, comprising refrigeration, vacuum, measurement telemetry, PLC & SCADA controls, sterilization and cleaning systems.
- Contribute to GAMP documentation such as Functional Specifications, Hardware Design Specifications, and Software Design Specifications.
- Lead the review/approval of new equipment or concepts and insures they are designed and tested to meet applicable functional and regulatory requirements.
- Maintain a working knowledge of all specifications and procedures required.
- Develop test methods to validate/verify system performance. Determines the required design parameters for testing of products and the preparation of test packages.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily while meeting the following requirements:
- Demonstrated leadership skills to drive cultural, process, and technical changes.
- Ability to effectively communicate, internally and externally to an audience ranging from senior level executives to shop floor employees
- Strong project management skills with the ability to organize, innovate, and most importantly execute.
- Knowledge of mechanical design, with refrigeration an advantage
- Ability to lead in a matrix organization, while enforcing collaboration and accountability
- Strong problem-solving skills with the ability to influence cross functionally between Operations, Sales, Finance, Human Resources, etc.
- Ability to manage third party external team members and designers
- Ability to develop, author, oversee GAMP documentation such as Functional Specifications, Hardware Design Specifications, and Software Design Specifications
- Experience building high performing and accountable teams.
- Knowledgeable in modern design and validation tools and techniques
- Experience operating in a regulated industry with capital equipment design, automation, life sciences (pharmaceutical and/or medical device is preferred)
- Experience with developing validation protocols, and operating within a change control environment. ISO9001, ISO13485, or AS9100
- Analytics experience is strongly
- Lean, Six Sigma, DMAIC
REQUIRED EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- 2+ years minimum Engineering Management experience. 3+ years minimum Engineering experience
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering (BSME) or related field from a four-year college or university.
- Refrigeration experience with low GWP gases
- Heat transfer loop experience from -85°C to °C
- Experience with both direct expansion and flooded refrigeration designs
- Work experience within an ISO quality environment preferred,
- Work experience with vacuum systems down to 5 microns.
- Must have structured problem solving and analytical skills
BENEFICIAL EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Master's degree in relevant discipline
- PE license
- HVAC certification
- EPA Universal Refrigeration Card
- EPA or Refrigeration Certificate
- Experience working to FDA, SEMI or aerospace requirements
As we continue to grow and provide leading edge products to our customers, we understand hiring the right people and treating them well is critical to our success. There are many exciting reasons to join the SP Team.
- We provide a wide range of innovative and high-quality scientific products that improve people's lives.
- We are customer-focused and value our team's expertise.
- We respect each other and foster a collaboration work environment.
- We innovate and are open to change.
- We are responsible and accountable and act with integrity.
- WE LIKE WHAT WE DO!
SP INDUSTRIES OFFERS
We are proud to provide a comprehensive benefits program focused on your total well-being.
- Competitive compensation package
- A robust health and welfare benefits package that includes Life, Health, Dental, Vision
- The opportunity to plan for the future with a strong 401(K) including company match!
- Time to recharge with Paid Time Off annually + Paid Holidays
- Career Advancement opportunities and Tuition Assistance to help you achieve your goals and continue your career growth.
EEO and Affirmative Action Statement:
SP is an Equal Opportunity Employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment on any basis and takes affirmative action to ensure equal employment opportunities. It is our policy to provide our employees and applicants with equal employment opportunities in accordance with applicable laws and not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, age, marital status, sex, gender identification, sexual orientation, genetic information, political belief, pregnancy, citizenship, handicap or disability, status as a veteran or member of the U.S. military, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. SP's Affirmative Action Plan is available through the HR Department and may be accessed during normal business hours.
Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision:
SP will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information.