|Date Posted||June 21, 2022|
USG is an industry-leading manufacturer of building products and innovative solutions. For more than 115 years, Chicago-based USG has developed award-winning wall, ceiling, flooring, sheathing and roofing products that enable customers to build the outstanding spaces where people live, work and play. With almost 7,000 employees across North America and operations around the world, we are steadfastly committed to our core values: safety, innovation, quality, integrity, service, diversity and efficiency.
We're big enough that our professionals have the resources to make a difference, yet small enough that you're not just a number. You'll work on key initiatives and build strong relationships across the company that will position USG for growth into the future.
USG offers work-life balance, specialist and general/managerial career paths, promotion from within, exceptional benefits, and incredible long-term career opportunities for the right professional. Each year, we have hundreds of employees who celebrate milestone anniversaries with us. Join us.
The Project Manager will manage corporate capital projects from idea inception through project development, permitting, engineering, procurement, construction, commissioning, and close out. Project Manager will create, lead, and manage project teams to safely meet the established goal(s) of projects on time and within budget. Corporate capital projects can range from $1 to $150MM in cost and project schedules can range from several months to a few years. This individual will work closely with Business Units, Manufacturing, Engineering, Technical Services, Capital Accounting, Finance, Strategic Sourcing, and other corporate functions throughout the life of projects. The Project Manager will coordinate the effort of both internal and external engineering professionals to ensure the timely and cost-effective completion of project designs related to assigned projects.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage and support project development team resources and resulting efforts through USG's Project Development Model
- Develop Decision Support Packages, consisting of accurate and achievable scopes of work, estimates, schedules, execution plans, drawings, and specifications, needed for business teams to make decisions around the approval of capital projects
- Ensure the continued dedication to safety excellence in the execution of all projects
- Create, lead, and hold accountable the needed resources, internal and external, to execute approved capital projects within the established budget and schedule
- Collaborate with Strategic Sourcing on procurement and contracting activities
- Ensure strict adherence to approved scopes of work and utilize the Project Variance Request process to closely scrutinize and approve variances in the approved scope of work
- Ensure project execution plans are well defined and followed
- Effective and timely communication with all relevant parties, including monthly presentation to key stakeholders and leadership for strategic capital projects
- Ensure appropriate documentation of the project is properly kept and recorded
- Management of multiple projects simultaneously while ensuring effective progress on each
ADDITIONAL POSITION REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to travel both domestically and internationally is required, approximately 20 to 50% travel.
- Bachelor's degree in engineering or a related field required
- A minimum of 5 years of escalating professional experience with industry
- Prior experience participating in large projects
- Understanding of project management techniques
- Engineering and technical abilities to understand and provide input on the design, development, and construction of manufacturing equipment, processes, and infrastructure
- Capable of promoting a high level of safety awareness and performance within project teams
- Excellent business ethics
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, and communication (verbal, written, visual) skills
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize time-sensitive tasks
- Self motivated with a strong work ethic
- Ability to work independently and effectively lead strategic work through cross-functional teams
- Proven record of problem solving and decisiveness
- Familiarity with USG's businesses and manufacturing processes
- Experience in managing consultants and contractors
- Prior experience with supply and construction contracts
EOE including disability/veteran