|Date Posted||June 21, 2022|
Applications accepted from: ALL PERSONS INTERESTED
Job Classification: GRADUATE ARCHITECT
Division: DESIGN AND CONSTRUCTION
Section: MINOR PROJECTS- IN HOUSE DESIGN- VERTICAL CONSTRUCTION
Location: 900 Bagby*
Workdays & Hours: M- F, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.*
*Subject to Change
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
The General Services Department (GSD) is seeking a Graduate Architect with experience working on interior renovations that align with GSD's Design and Construction body of work.
We are looking for a creative, enthusiastic, self-motivated, and organized Graduate Architect with architectural and interiors experience. Responsibilities of this position include assisting and coordinating all phases of assigned projects, from programming, construction documents, and construction administration.
Duties for this position will also include:
- Developing scopes of work for interiors, project budgets, drafting construction documents for interior projects, submitting plans to code enforcement, facilitating office furniture orders, and maintaining office furniture standards.
- Facilitate project activities with multiple project teams including client department representatives, GSD's Property Management Division, contractors, and project managers.
- Works closely with the Assistant Director of Design and Construction, In-House Design Lead, Minor Projects Division Manager, and group leaders to manage the day-to-day project workload.
- Develops and provides support to generate the schedule and scopes of work for projects.
- Will drive to coordinate and conduct on-site walkthroughs to develop scopes of work and determine the accuracy of proposals submitted by consultants and contractors.
- Conducts on-site visits for inspection, project quality control and punch list items.
- Maintains good working relationships with clients, stakeholders, and contractor representatives.
- Assists with the management of Design and Construction Division projects for repair, rehabilitation, or alteration, including emergencies, of fire and police stations, libraries, multi-service and community centers, recycling centers, office buildings, maintenance facilities, etc.
- Assists the project management staff with successful delivery of Task Order Contractor (TOC) and Job Order Contractor (JOC) projects for numerous clients
- Perform other duties as assigned
The position requires stooping, bending and/or lifting of items of up to 30 pounds with occasional periods of walking on rough surfaces.
MINIMUM EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS
Requires an architectural degree that is accredited by the Texas Board of Architectural Examiners.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
No experience is required.
MINIMUM LICENSE REQUIREMENTS
Valid Texas Class C driver's license and compliance with the City of Houston Motor Vehicle Assignment and Use Policy (AP 2-2).
Project management experience in the design and interior construction/renovation of commercial/municipal buildings is preferred. The following skills are also highly preferred:
- Knowledge of Computer Aided Drafting (CAD) software.
- Experience in coordinating and facilitating meetings with stakeholders, consultants, and contractors.
- Experience in developing interior design packages for permitting and construction.
- Experience with working for a municipality.
**Preference shall be given to eligible veteran applicants provided such persons possess the qualifications necessary for competent discharge of the duties involved in the position applied for, such persons are among the most qualified candidates for the position, and all other factors in accordance with Executive Order 1-6.**
SELECTION/SKILLS TESTS REQUIRED
The selection process will involve application review and/or interview. The hiring department may administer a skills test/assessment.
SAFETY IMPACT POSITION
YES - If yes, this position is subject to random drug testing and if a promotional position, candidate must pass an assignment drug test.
Factors used in determining the salary offered include the candidate's qualifications as well as the pay rates of other employees in this classification.
Pay Grade 22
Only online applications will be accepted for this City of Houston job and must be received by the Human Resources Department during active posting period. Applications must be submitted online at: . To view your detailed application status, please log-in to your online profile by visiting: or call .
If you need special services or accommodations, call . (TTY 7-1-1)
If you need login assistance or technical support call .
Due to the high volume of applications received, the Hiring Department will contact you directly, should you be selected to advance in our recruitment process. All new and rehires must pass a pre-employment drug test and are subject to a physical examination and verification of information provided.
EEO Equal Employment Opportunity
The City of Houston is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual's sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy.