|Date Posted||June 21, 2022|
Job ID: 400911
The Shelly Company, a CRH company, is a vertically integrated supplier of aggregates, asphalt, ready mix concrete and paving services throughout the state of Ohio. Our commitment to quality drives us to use the most modern, efficient, and environmentally friendly technology in our industry. The Shelly Company is known throughout the industry for innovation, quality and for our commitment to safety.
The Shelly Company needs multiple Experienced Asphalt Crew Members. Ideally, the selected candidates would have a class A or B CDL and/or Screed experience in the Asphalt industry. Candidates must be willing to travel, work flexible and varied hours, and join the laborers union immediately.
Work with members of construction team to ensure smooth operations of daily paving on each job. Performs wide responsibilities associated with lay down of asphalt.
Key Responsibilities (Essential Duties and Functions)
The criteria for evaluation in this position include but are not limited to the following (depending on final job assignment):
- Assist paving crew with various duties such as: shovel and raking, luting running wheelbarrow, safely backing/dumping trucks into paver.
- Other miscellaneous duties include but not limited to; equipment maintenance, assisting foreperson and/or crew members as needed.
- Ability to follow directions.
- Performs daily maintenance of equipment as follows:
- Inspect machine carefully for evidence of physical damage (cracking, bending or deformation of plates or welds).
- Check for loose, broken, or missing parts such as screed attachments and extensions, nuts, and bolts, etc.
- Check level of all fluids brake, fuel, transmission, power steering, engine coolant, hydraulic system, etc.
- Inspect various systems (fuel, hydraulic, cooling, etc.) for leaks.
- Inspect all plugs, filler caps and fittings for signs of leaking.
- Inspect tires/tracks for cuts, bulges, irregularities and excessive or abnormal wear. Check for proper inflation.
- Grease machine daily.
- Complete all company required paperwork in a timely and accurate manner.
- Ensure that tow arms, screed, and flow gates are adjusted properly to maintain appropriate head of material, angle of attack, and depth of mix in augers.
- Be aware of distance from plant and number of trucks on haul to pace the paver, accordingly, ensuring continuous paver operation. Work closely with Foreman and roller package in order to adjust speed to achieve continuous paving.
- Operate paver efficiently including, but not limited to the following tasks: hopper management, straight line paving, ensure that material dumped in the hopper is placed in a proper manner. Work with drivers to ensure that material is discharged into hopper in appropriate amounts.
- Maintain complete command of the machine and surrounding operations at all times.
- Communicate with Operator to avoid stop and go paving and ensure smooth transitions on stopping and taking off points.
- Keep equipment clean. Wiping down the equipment not only promotes positive public image but enables you to inspect the equipment at close range.
- Display a professional and courteous attitude to co-workers, supervisors, and the general public at all times.
- Must be willing to travel and work away from home when required.
- Must be willing to work nights and weekends when necessary.
- Report to the assigned job site ready to begin work at the designated start time.
- Strict adherence to safety requirements and procedures as outlined in the Manual of Safety Practices and Procedures.
- Strict adherence to Shelly Company policies and procedures as outlined in the Company Book of Policies.
- Willingness to work in a team environment and assist co-workers or supervisors with other duties as required.
- Timely and regular attendance is an expectation of performance for all Shelly Company employees. Employees will be held accountable for adhering to their workplace schedule.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Ideally, the selected candidates would have a class A or B CDL and/or Screed experience
Less than high school education; or up to six months related experience or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. 5+ years of experience is preferred.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, reach with hands and arms, and talk or hear. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Must be able to bend, kneel, squat, climb, stand, walk, sit, reach, drive, use fine motor skills and repetitive motion.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works near moving mechanical parts and is regularly exposed to wet and/or humid outside weather conditions and extreme heat. The employee is frequently exposed to fumes or airborne particles and toxic or caustic chemicals. The employee occasionally works in high, precarious places and is occasionally exposed to toxic or caustic chemicals.
The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
Environment may be hot, cold, or wet. May be exposed to noise, high heat, moving equipment and working with others.
The statements included in this job description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria necessary to successfully perform the job. Other duties may be assigned as required. Requirements for this job are subject to modification by the Company and its designees, and reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
What CRH Offers You
- A culture that values opportunity for growth, development, and internal promotion
- Highly competitive base pay
- Comprehensive medical, dental and disability benefits programs
- Group retirement savings program
- Health and wellness programs
CRH has a long and proud heritage as one of North America's largest corporations. We are a proud reflection of the hundreds of family businesses, local and regional companies and mid to large sized enterprises that together form the CRH family. CRH operates with a decentralized, diversified structure, letting you work in a small company environment while having the career opportunities of a large enterprise.
CRH is a great place to grow! If you're up for a rewarding challenge, we invite you to take the first step and apply today! Please complete your online application and profile which will be sent directly to the appropriate Hiring Manager. Thank you for your interest in the CRH Americas family!
The Shelly Company is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer.
EOE/Vet/Disability--If you want to know more, please click on this link